Outdoor Movie Theater Projector Guide
Yes, 'man-caves' are very cool, but unless you're a vampire, it's good to get some sunlight on occassion. It's time to take the projector party outside.
You can make your outdoor movie theater as simple or high-tech as you like.
Unlike those super sensitive flat screen televisions, a projector can easily be moved outdoors for an evening of entertainment under the stars. Wow your neighbors and friends with larger-than-life films, sports and music — all from the comfort of your own backyard. You can also bring your projector with you on camping or tailgating trips and take things to the next level!
Keep reading to learn more about setting up your outdoor movie theater »
Buyer's Guide Table of Contents:
- Best Projectors for Outdoor Movie Theaters
- Can I Have a Backyard Movie Theater Without a Screen?
- All-In-One Outdoor Movie Theater Projector Solutions
- Backyard Movie Theater Projector Tips
Best Projectors for Outdoor Movie Theaters[ top ]
There are currently no projectors designed exclusively for outdoor use. However, most of our home theater projectors, and even some of our business models, can easily be set up outside.
There are no projectors designed specifically for outdoor use, however, you can bring most home theater models outside. Just don't forget to bring them inside when you're done!
To get those gigantic, vivid images projectors are known for, we highly recommend using an HD model in your outdoor theater. Most of our home theater projectors are 720p or 1080p and will more than fit the bill. You can also look for a business model with a resolution of 1280 x 800 or higher.
Non-HD projectors will also work well outdoors, but the image quality won't be quite as spectacular as their higher resolution brothers and sisters.
You'll also need a computer that can preferably output in HD, or an upconverting DVD or Blu-ray player for your outdoor theater. Many of today's home theater projectors feature a built-in DVD player or iPhone dock, making them a perfect all-in-one solution. Just don't forget the extension cord!
Use our sorting features to find the best projector for your outdoor theater. Or call 1-888-248-0675 to speak to a Projector Expert.
Now this is what we call a pool party!
Quick Tip! No matter how often you use your outdoor theater, we do not recommend leaving your projector outside after use. Same goes for your screen.Backyard Movie Theater Projector Specs:
- Brightness : 2,000 lumens or better
- Resolution : HD (720p or 1080p)
- Connectivity : HDMI
- Projector Audio: Some HD projectors like the Epson MovieMate 85HD come with built-in speakers. If your projector doesn't, or if you need extra audio power, try Anchor powered speakers, which feature built-in amplifiers.
- Video Source: Look for projectors that include a built-in DVD player or iPod dock, or bring your own outside.
Backyard Movie Theater Recommendations:
Can I Have a Backyard Movie Theater Without a Screen?[ top ]
You can make your own screen, or set up a professional model for a more polished look.
You betcha! You can make your own screen using a sheet, the side of your house, the garage door, painter's tarp, you name it. Some of the best outdoor movie theaters we've seen were just a projector and a sheet hung between two trees.
That said, you may prefer a more polished look for your outdoor theater. Manufacturers have recently come out with a slew of affordable outdoor screens. From cinema-grade material you can attach to your garage to freestanding screens that set up in minutes, there is sure to be an outdoor screen that fits your needs and budget.
Recommended Screens for Outdoor Theater Use:
Elite came by our office recently and we asked them to show us how easy the Yard Masters are to set up. Watch this video for a closer look:
All-In-One Outdoor Movie Theater Projector Solutions[ top ]
In addition to making your backyard the coolest on the block, projectors also add rich visual value to events like outdoor concerts.
It's summertime - let us do the homework for you. We've created all-in-one backyard movie theater packages that include everything you need for a night of cinema under the stars. Save money and time!
Prefer to pick out your own projector and accessories? Projector People can create an all-in-one package that will please even the pickiest of backyard theater aficionados. Call 1-888-248-0675Don't forget...
- A power strip
- Extension cord
- Inexpensive upconverting DVD player (if not included on your projector)
- Entertaining movie
- External speakers (if not included on your projector)
- Food and beverages (beverages and food should be kept away from all electronics)
Tips for the Best Outdoor Theater[ top ]
One of our customers recently had his outdoor theater featured in the LA Times. Read more »
- Invite your neighbors, or at least inform them that there will be life size images in your backyard and maybe some extra noise.
- Do not charge admission without permission of the movie distributor. Though tempting, it is against the law. See your local regulations.
- Backyard events will be best if started around dusk (just like at the drive-in).
- Keep power cords out of the way as much as possible.
- Beware of inclement weather.
- Keep electronics away from pools, BBQs, your neighbor's dog and that annoying kid from the next block.
- Turn off your sprinkler system before setting up.
- Remember: your projector is not a coaster.
- Consult your projector owner's manual for specifications on outdoor use.